Sunday, July 29, 2012

Magno Thai Mahi Mahi

Whats this.... second post in as many days?  Your eyes don't deceive you.  I made too much rice for my last meal so I decided rather than a simple meal, I would make another recipe that would go well with the butter garlic rice.  Cue the mango thai mahi mahi.



Mahi Mahi Fish

-1 piece of Mahi Mahi
-1 Tps butter
-Lime juice
-Salt/Pepper

I decided not to try out the new gas oven broiler this weekend, so instead just a simple pan sear.  First off I seasoned the fish with some salt and pepper along with a squirt of lime juice.  I cranked the frying pan up to high, which takes late no time with the gas (love the gas stove), melting the butter on the pan. As the butter was sizzling, I drop the fish (skin side up) on the pan and let the fish cook until it was about 2/3 of the way cooked before flipping onto the skin side to finish.  Just like with scallops, you don't wanna move the fish once it's cooking on the pan or you won't get that nice browning.  As the fish was cooking, I prepared the mango salsa (see below).

Mango Thai Salsa

-1/4 cup finely chopped mango
-1 tsp thai sweet and sour sauce
-1 small minced clove garlic
-1 tbs rice vinegar
-Lime juice
-1 tps chopped fresh cilantro

First off, I peeled the mango with a standard peeler.  Instead of switching to a knife once peeled, I simply kept peeling the flesh off the fruit using the peeler.  This worked out really well, yielding nice thin strips of mango.  I then used my new chefs knife to dice up the strips into fine little pieces.  Adding in the thai sauce, garlic, vinegar and lime juice, I then mixed the salsa together with a spoon.  I then through in some freshly chopped cilantro for some color and some extra flavor.  I debated heating the salsa up in a sauce pan, but ultimately decided to leave the mixture at room temperature.  I don't think it makes much of a difference, as the heat from the fish will get the sauce up the temperature quickly enough.

I heated up the left over butter garlic rice from my last meal in the microwave (I know, Super lazy right?  but waste not want not right?)  The meal looked a little plan after plating it, so I turned the leftover lime into a little half lime crown... I think it adds a little more pizzaz to the plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment