Monday, July 6, 2015

Seared Halibut with Couscous

Holy jeez, it's been way too long since I've posted.  I literally made this dish a couple weekends ago, and in the craziness that is wedding season and raising a soon to be one year old, I never got around to posting.  So here it is.  A nice seared fish along with a side dish so nice, they named it twice.  To those who get the reference, good on you.


Seared Halibut with Israeli Couscous and Pancetta
- 6 oz filet Halibut
-1/2 cup cubed Pancetta
- Chopped Parsley
-1/3 cup Israeli Couscous
-Vegetable Broth
-1/2 cup Summer Peas
-Salt
-Pepper

There were basically three stages to this dish.  First the seared halibut, which was quite simple just that, a piece of seasoned (with salt/pepper) halibut seared in a butter/evoo mixture on high heat and finished in the oven.  Second was the puree of summer peas, which again, you may have guessed it, was simple just over half of the peas I cooked up pureed in the blender to give the dish a little something extra.  The third, and certainly most interest piece of the dish was the couscous mixture.  Started by cooking the couscous in vegetable broth the same way I'd typically cook rice.  Not sure if this is the best way to do it, but I assumed, since I've never made couscous before.  As it was cooking, I cooked up the pancetta in a pan til it was just getting crispy, added in the remaining sweet peas along with some chopped parsley and a bit of pepper.  I then added the finished couscous directly into the pancetta and gave it a good stir.  Basically just as easy as the other two steps.  Putting all three together and you're left with a half way decent meal.  The one thing I did take away from this meal is this.... I need to learn how to plate food more elegantly than just dumping onto the plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment