Sunday, August 12, 2012

Creamy Salmon and Leek Pasta

I found this recipe online during a rather slow evening at work (yes, I said evening.... lame work hours for the win).  Creamy Salmon and Leek Pasta for two....... but eaten by one.  The thing I liked about this recipe is that there were very few ingredients and minimal cooking time.  Two of my favorite things when cooking.  Also, salmon is tasty..... can't forget about that.



The Sauce

-Butter
-Large leek, diced
-Salt
-1/4 cup white wine
-Lemon juice
-1 cup cream
-Creole seasoning
-Basil
-Salmon

I started out by melting the butter over medium heat until fully liquid and bubbling.  I sauteed the diced leek for about five minutes or so, just until they started to brown around the edges.  Adding in the wine and lemon juice in order to deglaze the pan and get fullness of the butter flavour into the sauce.  I let the wine continue to bubble until fully evaporate before adding in the cream along with a pinch of salt and creole seasoning for some flavour.  I should note that the original recipe I found called for tarragon and dijon mustard, but I didn't have either or those nor do I really like them, so I decided to switch it up a little bit.

Now having the heat set on low, I waited until the cream just starts bubbling a little bit before adding in the salmon directly to the sauce.  I was a little wary about not pre-cooking the salmon before putting in it the sauce, but true to the recipe, the heat from the sauce was more than enough to fully cook it.  The salmon was finished cooking when it starts to become more firm and flakes apart when you move it.  To finish off the sauce I added in some basil to give the sauce a little more flavour and color.

I won't really go into the too much detail with the pasta I used, basically as the sauce was cooking I got some water boiling and tried to time the pasta to be finished around the same time as the sauce.  It was tough to gauge as I had no clue how long the salmon would take.

No comments:

Post a Comment