Sunday, August 26, 2012

Poached Eggs with Potato Pancakes

It took some time, but I finally got around to cooking a breakfast for my blog.  I was feeling pretty lazy last night, and while at the store picking up some supplies for the evenings food creation, I decided I didn't really feel like making a big dinner.  Instead, I switched my shopping to some breakfast foods.  Originally I was going to make an omelet or crepes, but then came across some smoked salmon on sale, thus decided to make some poached eggs with smoked salmon.  As the side, I decided I finally wanted to try making some potato pancakes.  Turned out pretty good if you ask me. 


Poached Eggs

-2 large eggs
-Sliced smoked salmon
-English muffin
-Butter
-Dill
-Creole seasoning
-Vinegar

I've poached eggs a few times, and I've come across a few tricks which make the eggs turn out a little nicer.  Start off by bringing some water to a gentle boil with a little bit of vinegar in it.  I like to crack the egg into a small bowl prior to dropping into the water, just in case the yolk breaks.... it's easier to swap out the eggs from the bowl than if it's already in the water.  Also, I find it easier to dump into the water from the bowl as well.  Before adding the egg into the water, I take a plastic spoon and stir around the water to make a bit of a cyclone effect.  Then in one quick motion dump the entire egg right into the middle of the water.  The spinning water helps to keep the egg together so it doesn't separate too much in the water.  I left the egg in the water until it becomes slightly firm and then remove.  If done right, the outside will be firm however the yolk will be nice and runny.

Tricky thing about the english muffin is that I don't have a toaster.... makes things a little awkward.  Instead I buttered the muffin and then toasted it using a frying pan on high heat.  Turned out pretty decently actually.

Plating it up, I simply layer the salmon onto the english muffin, placed some poached eggs on top, sprinkled a little creole seasoning for flavouring and color, and then garnished with a bit of dill.


Potato Pancakes

-1 large russet potato
-1/4 of a white onion
-1 egg
-2 tbs of flour
-Salt and pepper

Now here's something I've never tried before and is apparently super easy.  Started off by peeling a large potato and then grating it into a bowl of cold water.  Then similarly grated a quarter of a white onion and mixed together into the bowl.  Then after letting it soak for about 20 minutes, I thoroughly drained all the water and squeezed out the mixture until it was as dry as I could get it.  Apparently excess water will ruin these, so definitely took my time to get it as dry as possible.  Some paper towel was involved.

While the potato was soaking, I make the batter by simply mixing together the egg, flour and salt/pepper.  In a clean bowl and mixed together the batter and potato/onion trying to coat every piece I cook.

I heated a large skillet to high with about 1/4 inch of oil, maybe a little less.  I then put in clumps of the battered potato and flattened out in the pan.  The mixture will fry up nicely and start to brown on the bottom, at which point I flipped them over and reduced down the heat.  I read that you need to reduce the heat in order to make sure the potato cooks all the way through before the outside get burnt.   All in all I think they cooked for about 8 minutes or so, and were well worth it.   Very tasty.  Although they soaked up a lot of that oil, so probably not an everyday type of meal haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment